NANCY STEVENS - BUILDING AND SUSTAINING A BETTER FUTURE FOR CHILDREN IN KENYA

Monday, June 14, 2010

Red Earth, Hand Made Picks, Pure Joy

I do not even know where to begin! Day one of the building...

Sorry folks...HI, I HOPE THIS EMAIL FINDS YOU WELL.... back to Kenya Help!

Yesterday we went to church with our family from 8:30-11:30...yes, long, but they had a welcoming service for us and it was amazing!

TODAY....what a day.

Picked up at 8am by 35 Irishmen working for the TARA Project and headed to the site. The house will be done by the end of the week. It's beautiful!
I started work right away with a very heavy pick to even out the earth where we are putting the coop. We hired local villages to help us and PJ filmed us working hard...then joined in. It's going to be so big....after the earth was level we dug a trench around the perimeter where we will put the fence posts and wire fence in to protect the hens from animals. HARD HARD work...but we did it for 8 hours and completed it for the construction tomorrow.

The garden is amazing. The neighbors went over the land line when they planted their garden...and planted beans and corn on Sidai land....so...they were paid back for their work...and the crops are about 2 feet high already. I am paying 13 very poor villagers to weed the very large garden this week. Everyone is happy, they have work, they have pay, and they have love, lots of love. We are so happy to help them, help us! They garden is so big...I will let you know next time as I do not know acres vs feet! LOL

The Massaii come and watch the white people work...and its amazing to have them theere. I took a break and taught the children some english songs, what a joy.

PJ is doing a great job of filming, to tell the KH story of Sidai, and helping me with hard labor. It's his first time bathing in a bucket, but I gave him ssome tips. Sunday night we went to the market to help our host mother sell watermelons..what a show! A white girl walking around with melons and an Asian guy yelling...MELONS FOR SALE, Come get your melons!

As for Kenya itself...if you have not seen the news...it's not good. We are lucky we are here now and leaving before the election in August. Therer have been bombings in Mombassa, murders, and villages burned down. The Ngong slums was on the list but was saved...it's so terrible what's going on, but I won't get into it while here, just know that we are safe, and the projects are the best thing we can do. Mama Lucy is thrilled. She said that she was so happy that I actually came back and made true with what I said I would do, to help these children and feed them. She told me that people tell her all the time that they will be back, and they do not come...

SO, on behalf of the children of Sidai, and the KH project, WE THANK YOU SO MUCH and love you all and appreciate all you have done to make this happen.
I am not the Kenya Help project...we ALL are...I am doing the labor, PJ is filming the story, but it is YOU who truly are Kenya Help...and HELP YOU HAVE!
Love to all, thanks for following...

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers during this hard time of political unrest..and I promise to keep you updated on the projects you are doing.
xox

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nancy, it makes me soo happy your doing what you love!! Keep at it

    ReplyDelete