NANCY STEVENS - BUILDING AND SUSTAINING A BETTER FUTURE FOR CHILDREN IN KENYA

Monday, June 28, 2010

Masaii Land

Well, what an adventure!
I decided from home that I wanted to go into the Masaii land to see where some of the children come from...what an adventure. Pj and I, with Moshilla, our guide, walked 6 hours, uphill, into the Ngong hills. We ended day one on the top of the hill with a family to stay with for the night. No electricity, no water. Masaii women carrying jugs on their heads for hours to bring home. A cow being milked, straight into the cup for chai tea, and a mud hut with a fire pit in the middle to cook rice and beans. We slept in our sleeping bags on the dirt floor of a tin shack, beside the cow pen. It was like stepping back in time, and it was incredible. We rose to beautiful, dirty children singing for us becfore we departed on the next leg. We climbed straight up for almost 2 hours...exhausted, hit the top, and took a break. We were soaked, covered in mud, and trying to catch out breath...but the view from the top was amazing. These people do this on a regular basis, for food and water. We could not believe the distance between the people, and how far away everyone was from each other. We started to travel into the Rift Valley, and it was downhill...Great! Well...not as great as we hoped. It was so steep, I was a little scared. Our feet were a mess, and because of my wet sock, the skin started to come off in spots...so we needed a break. We went into the next village to stop for food. Youy can just knock on someones door and ask them for lunch....and we did. We had rice and potatoes with a bit of cabbage. My shoes dried in the sund and I wrapped my feet in toilet paper to protect them when I changed my socks. We made it to thew bottom, talking with Joseph, Masaii man, about his life and how they live. He could run those hiills that took us two days to climb up and own, and he has...amazing.
I am so happy we experienced that way of life, even if only for 2 days. What a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment