NANCY STEVENS - BUILDING AND SUSTAINING A BETTER FUTURE FOR CHILDREN IN KENYA

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 2

Today was the day I would see my kids for the first time...but when I woke, it was just as beautiful...Mama Millicent was home! We stood in the hall and cried, and hugged...and cried more. She is doing so well and is so happy to have us with her. We had a HUGE breakfast and left for the orphanage.My heart was pounding...and when we walked through the gate, these amazing, beautiful, happy children were there to greet us. There are so many new kids...so young too. Some of the little ones did not recognize me, but the older kids did. They were a little shy at first, but as soon as I started picking them up and cuddling them, it all changed. Some would cry when I put them down, or they would all be fighting for my hands...or PJ and the camera...I am trying to teach him to say no in Swahili! As I gathered the children to go and play in the field...I was waiting to see John, and he came around the corner...and I actually lost my breath for a second. John is such a special boy, unlike any young boy I have met. I cried hugging him, and as he put his arms around me, he whispered, "you came back..." It was such a great feeling!!!!!!
PJ and I took the kids to the field, played soccer and sang and danced. It was amazing. This afternoon we left and went to the Sidai in the slums to film where it all began...For some reason when I went walking through the slums, I had been hoping to see some positive changes...not sure why...but it was the same. It was great for PJ to see the area where it all began, and share stories of the children.
Monday morning I start the coop! Fencing is ordered, wood, and postes...after it's up..chickens!!!! It is going to be such a great place for the children to move into...I truly am blessed to be here, and so happy PJ can bring home the story of these amazing children!
Love to you all!
PS-Yes, bathing in a bucket! LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment